From: Pip/Bruce Ferguson <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Monday, 27 October, 2008 8:35:39 PM
Subject: Re: Rationale for Living Theory

Dear Joan and others

What a fascinating and so accessible paper, Joan.  Your writing is exceptionally clear and easy to follow.  Congratulations – I wish I wrote as well.

I cannot comment on the scientific aspects of your paper, not being trained in the so-called ‘hard sciences’.  Suffice it to say that in my PhD study I came across a fascinating critique of such science by Sandra Harding, herself a scientist, who argued against the ‘objectivity’ of science in her book, “The Science Question in Feminism” (1986).  It may be of use to you if you want to back up your own queries about objectivity.

A couple of other reflections, given my current state of thinking.  Your third proposition,

Ensure that we communicate the methods we use and what we learn in a way that can be evaluated and tested out by others.

while laudable as a proposition, makes me query to what extent we can ensure that our communication can be presented in ways that can be evaluated and tested out by people whose backgrounds may be quite different from ours.  We can certainly do so with others whose paradigms are the same as ours (although even there, there’s obviously ground for misunderstanding and miscommunication) but communication so that evaluation and testing can be carried out by others whose paradigms may be quite different, is a far more complex task.  It may not be what you intended in your proposition – perhaps clarify how widely you interpret ‘others’.

The other point is, and speaking only for myself here, I find it hard to “suspend all limiting conditions and belief systems” when writing.  I have used the expression before, ‘the goldfish doesn’t see the water’ and I think we are frequently quite unaware of our own limiting conditions and belief systems.  Even if we are aware of them, we may not wish to suspect the belief systems.  When I write, I write quite ideologically at times, fired by passion for social justice and my own Christian beliefs (though I try not to impose these on others).  I’m not sure that I want to suspend these systems; I prefer, as I did in my PhD, to declare my biases so that readers can be aware of these and judge accordingly.  But, and here I guess I differ from the scientists you’re describing at the start of your paper, I don’t think my way is the only way.  I quite recognise that people see things differently, and I respect that.  I think that is a strength of living educational theory – that people can declare and describe the ground on which they stand (turangawaewae, in Maori terms – your place of strength and belonging) and defend that ground, having made clear that it is their ground not necessarily that of others in the same culture, let alone the human race.

Hope these thoughts help, Joan.  I should be doing other work, but your paper was so intriguing it has prompted me to reply immediately.

Warm regards

Pip Bruce Ferguson