Hi Pip (and all), thanks for organising a copy of Kairaranga: Weaving educational threads Weaving educational practice, Vol 9, Special Edition: 2008, to be sent on. It has arrived from the Ministry. For those who haven't got a copy, Kairaranga is a New Zealand Journal of Educational Practice. This special issue celebrates the meeting place between research and practice in the autism spectrum disorder participatory action research (ASD PAR) project.

In responding to the special issue Robyn has already said that:

"It is already useful for planning my community work with a  young couple and their baby where the mother lives with ASD.  I found new ideas for understanding her, planning the work and for briefing other agencies by using a 'Who am I?' questionnaire/leaflet approach to discovering her particular needs and raising awareness of them amongst the services she will use.
But more - it has inspired me to see it as collaborative action research with the young couple, her mum (who happens to work in education) and the other agencies.  It could be a short project worth writing up and disseminating as a way of enhancing the value of preventive health services here in the UK.  I am learning and it could inspire others."

I'll be sharing the special issue this evening with a group of local teachers on our masters programme and highlighting the value-commitments and ideas on participatory action research in this special issue. In the Kairaranga Book Reviews section I found the following insight:

"...a relationship needs work, and we need not only to tolerate, but to value what is important to the individuals we love. They demonstrated how acceptance and understanding can lead to love, and how being loved can lead to internal peace. Not only "couple love", but also "human love" ( p.61)

As I read this I recalled a video-clip from Robyn's doctoral research programme where she was sitting on the floor with a baby and the Mother was sitting on a settee. In her thesis Robyn at http://people.bath.ac.uk/edsajw/pound.shtml

on  HOW CAN I IMPROVE MY HEALTH VISITING SUPPORT OF PARENTING? THE CREATION OF AN ALONGSIDE EPISTEMOLOGY THROUGH ACTION ENQUIRY, Robyn says:

"Motivated initially by rights for children, particularly freedom from violence, this thesis explores the enhancement of children's well-being in family life. It shows the creation of a living theory of health visiting as I seek to understand, improve, evaluate and explain my support of developing family relationships. From increasingly collaborative relationships with parents, colleagues, educational researchers and others, alongsideness emerges as an explanation I found appropriate to my parenting, health visiting and researching. Alongsideness, meaning creating and sustaining connections that enhance collaborative enquiry, intends to support the generation of personal theory for application in practice.

The thesis shows how I found theory of human emotional need useful for understanding and raising awareness about the needs of people in relationships and for problem-solving. It illuminates the health-enhancing and educational possibilities of alongsideness for myself, children, their families and the communities they form. It shows how I question personal beliefs arising from my history, as I reflect on my values and attempt to embody them for living as I practise. Self-study enabled me to grapple with the dynamic, multi-dimensions of alongsideness in diverse situations, the dilemmas arising for understanding myself and for clarifying my practice values.

The thesis contributes to a new scholarship of enquiry for health visiting. It shows how values generated and embodied in the process of enquiring can be transformed into living standards of judgement both for evaluating practice and for judging my claims to knowledge. It explains how the generation of living theory through reflective action enquiry has potential for the improvement and explanation of practice."

What I'm wondering is whether Pip's insights about the need to extend the forms of representation in educational research, in the Research Intelligence article on Increasing Inclusion in Educational Research: Reflections from New Zealand (see http://bera.ac.uk/publications/ridetails.php?iid=40), might be needed to communicate meanings of 'human love' in educational relationships and explanations of educational influence. I found Robyn's thesis did illuminate "the health-enhancing and educational possibilities of alongsideness for myself, children, their families and the communities they form."

Seeing the expression of Robyn's (life-affirming? Dynamic loving energy?) in her health-visitor relationships has served to reinforce my enquiry into the need for visual communications of the flows of energy with values in our explanations of educational influence.

Marie - where you write in response to Margaret's article in Innovate:

"I am beginning to see how video incorporated with a narrative might communicate the relational dynamic of what I am meaning. I am also hoping it might help me to offer an alternative to the present use of static targets and evidence as forms of accountability - a very current challenge."

Here's hoping you can rise to the challenge and show us what has emerged!

Love Jack.