I'll defend Lauterbach here. It's a poem about the processes of
perception and being, and certainly not written without feeling. I've
read better poems along these lines, attempting to honestly delineate
the complex ephemerality of a moment - Ashbery comes to mind and even
more, Rilke - but I hardly think it's "really really really terrible",
nor does it strike me as that breathy kind of fake poetic Frederick
claims it demonstrates. It strikes me that while Lauterbach's poem is
about entering the specifics of a moment (eternity perhaps in
Spinoza's sense, ie some kind of immanence), Larkin's is about
transcendence, the absorption into a sublime whole. Totally different
poetic consciousnesses. Not sure that it's useful to use one to bash
the other.

xA

--
Editor, Masthead:  http://www.masthead.net.au