Dear Jacques,

One of the reasons I took up a post at Swinburne Design is the fact that we are a faculty of design, and not a design school or department located within faculties of art and design, architecture, or engineering. We have our own challenges as a faculty of design located within a university of technology, and some of these bring good results -- we collaborate on programs and research projects with four other faculties. We also find it interesting to find our way forward as the only specific design faculty in a nation where nearly all other design programs are located in faculties of architecture, art and design, or some other large aggregate of built environment or creative industries programs.

It would be difficult to claim that we do better on evidence-based research or on creative, elegant solutions because of our field-specific identity, but it is fair to say that we are free to pursue both evidence and elegance without doing so on premises established for art, architecture, or engineering. Bringing evidence and elegance together by solving real problems effectively  under constraint is our goal.

Yours,

Ken

Ken Friedman, PhD, DrSci (hc), FDRS
Professor

Dean, Swinburne Design
Swinburne University of Technology
Melbourne, Australia

On Thu, 30 Oct 2008 07:28:45 -0700, Jacques Giard <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>In all three cases -- art, engineering, and architecture -- the ethos or
>culture of the place had a great influence on whether evidence-based design
>was leading design education or took a back seat to it.

-----
Swinburne University of Technology
CRICOS Provider Code: 00111D

NOTICE
This e-mail and any attachments are confidential and intended only for the use of the addressee. They may contain information that is privileged or protected by copyright. If you are not the intended recipient, any dissemination, distribution, printing, copying or use is strictly prohibited. The University does not warrant that this e-mail and any attachments are secure and there is also a risk that it may be corrupted in transmission. It is your responsibility to check any attachments for viruses or defects before opening them. If you have received this transmission in error, please contact us on +61 3 9214 8000 and delete it immediately from your system. We do not accept liability in connection with computer virus, data corruption, delay, interruption, unauthorised access or unauthorised amendment.