Dear Klaus,

Thanks. The etymology is useful: the English word "fact" comes from the
Latin "factum," -- "thing done," the past participle of "facere": "to do."

What you write is so. At the same time, I propose that some aspects of these
cases do exist in a world beyond the realm of reasonable controversy.
(Though not, as Gunnar points outside, beyond the world of excuses.)

It's true that nature knows no facts. Only a knowing individual knows, and
what any individual -- or group of individuals -- knows is conditioned by
many factors. In part, that is what makes EBM or the Cochrane studies so
valuable while some of the principles on which they rest when applied to
practice remain open to controversy.

Yours,

Ken