I have to side with Klaus on this.

I haven't ready Ashby, but I can think of 2 interpretations that might
clear this up.

1. The complexity being modelled is limited to what is immediately
pertinent to the fulfilment of some goal for the thing being 'regulated'
by the agent.  Limits here include the extent of the agent's capacity to
regulate, and the goal of the regulation.

2. 'Systems' are just models anyways, so if the agent is seeking to
regulate a 'system', the system is probably already simplified down to
something that the agent can handle.

Cheers.
Fil

--
Filippo A. Salustri, Ph.D., P.Eng.
Department of Mechanical and Industrial Engineering