And also, if Jon's spelling of his name is to be trusted, a small bear-like creature from the third of the original Star Wars trilogy

-----Original Message-----
From: Curating digital art - www.crumbweb.org on behalf of Jon Thomson
Sent: Fri 24/10/2008 11:06 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [NEW-MEDIA-CURATING] Guardian blog re: ICA decision

This from Ewok Eshun in the guardian blog comments -a politician in
training by the looks of it.

--:>
Dear Lynn,

Whilst I both understand and respect your point of view here Im keen
to address some of the points youve raised.

Most urgently, its important to say that I dont think that live art
lacks any kind of cultural urgency. As a sincere fan of live
performance works from the likes of Katie Mitchell and Punchdrunk to
Ursula Martinez this is very far indeed from my point of view!

For the past number of years the ICA has run a Live & Media Arts
department which has focused primarily on new media based artistic
practice. In my internal email to staff that you quoted, I was trying
to make the point that I didnt feel that we could financially or
artistically justify a whole department devoted primarily to that
relatively narrow area of practice. With the limited resources
available to our institution, Ive had to take the view that we are
better off devoting our energies towards a more concentrated
programme of activities rather than finding ourselves in the
perpetual peril of spreading ourselvestoo thin. We need to do justice
to the programme we present and that sometimes means doing less with
greater depth rather than continuing to aim as broadly as we have in
the past.

Its not a decision Ive come to happily or lightly. Although the
department will close, the ICA will continue to host part of the
London International Mime Festival in January and other events, as
they occur out of the programme, into the future.

Ekow Eshun