St Barbara is considered the Patron Saint of miners (and a number of
other groups who are associated with explosives, including
artillerymen) in many parts of central, northern and western Europe
including Poland, Finland, Germany, Italy, Spain, Portugal, Slovakia,
the Czech Republic etc. She was reputedly born in the third century AD
in what is now Turkey. She was the daughter of a Roman nobleman and
converted to Christianity which angered her father who eventually
killed her for deserting the pagan faith. Her association with mining
comes about because she is said to have hidden in a mine shaft to avoid
capture by her father and due to the help she was given by
metallurgists. She has been venerated across Europe from about the
seventh century.

I have seen shines to her in numerous mining settlements and mine
workings and there are many rituals associated with her. In Linares,
Spain, for example, there is a church dedicated to St Barbara and the
saint's day, 4th December, has seen something of a revival in recent
years; a ballad about St Barbara is sung across the mining regions of
Spain. In Finland St Barbara must be driven away at the opening of a
new smelter to remove her protection from the concentrate. It is
interesting that European mineworkers appear to have taken their belief
in St Barbara to new mining areas overseas. I saw an advertisement for
St Barbara's Day in Kalgoorlie, Western Australia, a couple of years
ago. I surmise that due to the large immigrant Italian population, that
the custom was introduced by them in the early twentieth century.
However, in Cornwall, St Barabra is not associated with miners at all,
it is St Piran, the Patron Saint of Cornish Tinners.

It's interesting that given the prominence of St Barbara in Spanish
mining areas, we might have expected her to be more venerated in the
mining areas of the former Spanish colonies of Latin America. However,
I concur with Omar Escamilla about Mexico. The miners' shines there do
not appear to be to St Barbara. In the tourist mine of El Eden in
Zacatecas, there is a shrine to El Santo NiƱo de Atocha and the shinres
I have seen in the mining district of Pachuca-Real del Monte appear to
be to the Virgin de Guadalupe or another local variety. I saw no
shrines to St Barbara in the mining regions of Chile either. Indeed,
the 'Catholic' wayside shrines I saw in the more remote parts of the
Atacama and the Altiplano looked to be more dedicated to Pachamama than
the Virgin Mary. I guess that the custom of St Barbara as the Patron
Saint of Miners might have been brought to Latin America by immigrant
European miners after the Conquest of the Indies, but that it was
assimilated or transformed into more acceptable forms by the indigenous
people.

Dr Sharron P. Schwartz

See your new look Tiscali Homepage - http://www.tiscali.co.uk