From: mining-history [mailto:[log in to unmask]]On Behalf Of
Lyle E. Browning
Sent: 13 October 2008 02:28
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Horse Whim to Steam Question

The info about the practical depth limitations of Horse Whim systems
was enlightening to say the least.

The first use of steam engines to dewater coal mines in the New World
was in 1816 in Midlothian, Virginia, and about a mile from where I
live. The cinder piles are visible from their use.

Pondering that a bit, steam engines obviously meant that bigger ropes
could be used, and therefore deeper mines could be dewatered and coal
obtained therefrom. But one assumes practical limits to rope diameter.
Is that correct?

Or are we talking apples and oranges with belt systems in use for
dewatering? And if belts are used, is there info on the max depth of a
run?

The wire rope was invented in the 1830's and was it used in mines
early on or did it have a more torturous path from another initial
application first and then get adapted to mines?

Lyle Browning