From: mining-history [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of
Brough Paul
Sent: 05 October 2008 17:47
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: British Geological Survey records.

Afternoon all

I hope this doesn't turn out to be a major loss and am gratified that Roger
Burt is investigating. Theis is not the first time an NDPB* has neglected
opportuunities to talk to local archives about possible transfers.

Obviously local archives won't automatically take everything but the chance
would be helpful. Cornwall Record Office has Designation for the
significance of its hard-rock mining archives and would be likely to
consider very favourably any pooortunity to secure material.

Let's hope this is a minor problem and no sort of precedent.

Paul

PS: tahnks to Alasdair for drawing my attention to something in my own
archive in his earleir posting.

* non-departmental public bodies (what we used to know and love as quangos -
quasi-autonomous non-governmantal organisations) though perhaps the body
concerned is not an NDPB but a NMGD or non-ministerial government
department? (You can take the boy out of archives but you can't take
archives of of the boy...)