List members may be interested to know that Morwellham Archaeological Group
have recently uncovered several lengths of early railway associated with the
limekiln at Morwellham Quay.  These date from 1816 to the 1850s and include
trough section plate rails of 1816-17, T section cast iron bar rails and
wrought iron bar rails; the latter two types from about the 1820s-40s.  The
system may have continued in use until the late 1860s and possibly as an
internal system for an unknown time after that.

You may also like to look at our excavated limekiln, which is cleared of
vegetation and completely emptied now.

We will be on site on every weekend in November, and would welcome any list
members who would like to take a look.  Access to the museum site is free,
though attractions such as George & Charlotte mine require payment.

Of course if anyone wants to take part in the excavations or finds washing,
they would be very welcome.  Contact me off-list if this is the case, on

Hope to see you there.

Robert Waterhouse,
Morwellham Quay Archaeologist