Jennifer,
I presume you already know about
Vauchez, André. "Sainthood in the later Middle Ages." Cambridge, UK 1997.
and
Goodich, Michael. Vita Perfecta: The Ideal of Sainthood in the Thirteenth
Century. Stuttgart: A. Hiersemann, 1982.

These would be the first places I'd look.   I'd also go through the
canonization bulls; these are collected in an 18th century volume, and I
can't find the citation right now, but I have them in my office so I'll send
it later or tomorrow.

cecilia

On Wed, Oct 22, 2008 at 4:50 PM, Jennifer Feltman <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> I am looking for vitae of confessor saints that pre-date Jacobus de
> Voragine.  Can anyone suggest good primary sources or secondary sources
> sources that discuss this category of saints?  I am especially interested
> in
> late 12th and early 13th cen sources.
>
> Many Thanks,
>
> Jennifer