From: John Dillon <[log in to unmask]>

> 2)  Caprasius of Agen (?).

> C.'s originally twelfth-century church at Agen (Lot-et-Garonne) is now that
city's cathedral.  An illustrated, French-language account is here:
> http://tinyurl.com/58ely4

there is a possibility that the apse paintings have been "touched up" just a
bit since c. 12

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/22/Cath%C3%A9drale_Saint-Caprais_Agen_Interieur3.JPG

> The Romanes.com page on this church is here (but the entire site appears to
be temporarily offline):

> http://www.romanes.com/Agen/

it is back with us, as i speak.

the polychromy of the capitals seems to be following the original scheme,
however:

http://www.romanes.com/Agen/Cathedrale_Saint_Caprais_d_Agen_0018.html

http://www.romanes.com/Agen/Cathedrale_Saint_Caprais_d_Agen_0017.html

and a "before" shot, of your blesséd St. Capraisius being relieved of his
head and OCCIDET MORITVRing:

http://www.romanes.com/Agen/Cathedrale_Saint_Caprais_d_Agen_0011.html

an interesting example of a later 12th c. (essentially "Gothic") figure style
within a thoroughly "romanesque" formal context (assuming that the whole thing
isn't 19th c.):

http://www.romanes.com/Agen/Cathedrale_Saint_Caprais_d_Agen_0022.html

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]