On Sunday, October 12, 2008, at 5:27 pm, John Briggs wrote:

> John Dillon wrote:
> >
> > On Sunday, October 12, 2008 4:19 pm, John Briggs wrote:
> >
> >> Deposition of St Wilfrid [What happened to him? Was he struck off for
> >> being
> >> an Anglican?]
> >
> > Moved in the RM of 2001 from 12. October to 24. April.  According to
> > Alan Thacker's entry on W. in the ODNB, his feast on 24. April is
> > older than than the one on 12. October and probably corresponds tojavascript:parent.send('smtp')
Send Message
Send
> > his actual _dies natalis_.
>
> 24 April is his Translation feast.

You're using the present tense.  Was 24. April always W.'s Translation feast?  If so, what are the proofs?

Here's what Thacker says:
"In pre-conquest England, Wilfrid was commemorated by two feasts, 12 October and 24 April. In 709 neither date was a Thursday, the death-day which Stephen of Ripon expressly says was kept as Wilfrid's feast. Although the October date has traditionally been regarded as the main commemoration, marking Wilfrid's death or deposition, the April feast is in fact earlier—it alone occurs in the eighth- and ninth-century calendars; 24 April was a Thursday in 710, and is therefore probably the date of Wilfrid's death. The emphasis on the October feast perhaps developed because that in April was likely to conflict with Lent and Easter."

Best again,
John Dillon

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]