medieval-religion: Scholarly discussions of medieval religion and culture >Iudeos vero fenerantes super pignora, et si pro neccesitate humilis plebis
>ad persuasionem aliquorum de suo concilio tolerabat, tamen super litteris
>christianorum periuria et coactina ministeria usurarie pravitatis, non permittebat
>eos ipsos nec alios publicos usurarios fenerari. Et ne huius litteras facerent
>compleri suis officialibus districtius prohibebat.

Dear Cecilia

"coactina" seems to be a misspelling of "coactiva", and I suppose that "super litteris" should rather be read "super litteras", because the wole passage seems to be based on the distinction between lending "super pignora" (on pawn) and lending "super litteras" (on borrower's note) as it can be found also in other prohibitions of this kind.

As to your question, I too don't know how to connect the passage "periuria et coactina ministeria usurarie pravitatis", and for this reason I am also not sure where to put "christianorum" (notes issued by Christian borrowers?). Translating into my English, which some may find no less troublesome than the original Latin:

"While he tolerated, on the advise of some of his counsellors with respect to the nediness of the populace, that Jews might lend on pawn, he nevertheless permitted neither to those same Jews nor to other public moneylenders to lend on borrowers' notes [...]. And he defended strictly to his officials to acknowledge such notes."

Yet I am confident that other members will be able to offer better help!

Kind regards, O.

Dr. Otfried Lieberknecht
D-40477 Duesseldorf
Tel. +49 (0)172 407 6073