medieval-religion: Scholarly discussions of medieval religion and culture --Original Message Text---
From: Paul Chandler
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2008 21:36:49 +0100
But the question is, did an ordinary priest preside from such a chair when a bishop was not present? or did he have to find somewhere else to sit?

This is an interesting question as well. I've noticed that in Orthodox and Eastern Catholic churches there is a chair which represents the bishop/for the bishop set to the right of the iconostasis (at least in the ones I've seen) but the presiding priest never sits in it. . .

come to think of it, I don't recall noticing where the presiding (non-bishop) priest sits in the Eastern liturgy - or if he sits. . . hmmmmm.

George the Less