Dear Cecilia,

I agree with Otfried on the lexical items 'coactina' and 'super litteris'.

The sequence of thought appears to be as follows:

1.  Iudaeos vero fenerantes super pignora ... tolerabat

2.  Tamen super litter[a]s christianorum periuria et coactina ministeria usurarie pravitatis non permittebat e[i]s ips[i]s

3.  Nec [permittebat; understood from the preceding] ali[i]s public[i]s usurari[i]s fenerari

_ministeria_ would then be the direct object of _non permittebat_.  Converting the following accusatives to datives complementing _non permittebat_ renders the thought in in standard Latin.  If I were editing, though, I would leave them as accusatives and explain in a note, as it's not clear here whether your author actually used the dative in these instances or instead started a clause with _ministeria_ as the direct object of _non permittebat_ but then switched over to _non permittebat eos ipsos ... alios publicos usurarios_ and failed to delete _ministeria_ and its complements.

Just a suggestion.

Best,
John Dillon

On Wednesday, October 1, 2008, at 4:40 am, Otfried Lieberknecht wrote:

> >Iudeos vero fenerantes super pignora, et si pro neccesitate humilis
> plebis
> >ad persuasionem aliquorum de suo concilio tolerabat, tamen super
> litteris
> >christianorum periuria et coactina ministeria usurarie pravitatis,
> non permittebat
> >eos ipsos nec alios publicos usurarios fenerari. Et ne huius litteras
> facerent
> >compleri suis officialibus districtius prohibebat.
>
> Dear Cecilia
>
> "coactina" seems to be a misspelling of "coactiva", and I suppose that
> "super litteris" should rather be read "super litteras", because the
> wole passage seems to be based on the distinction between lending
> "super pignora" (on pawn) and lending "super litteras" (on borrower's
> note) as it can be found also in other prohibitions of this kind.
>
> As to your question, I too don't know how to connect the passage
> "periuria et coactina ministeria usurarie pravitatis", and for this
> reason I am also not sure where to put "christianorum" (notes issued
> by Christian borrowers?). Translating into my English, which some may
> find no less troublesome than the original Latin:
>
> "While he tolerated, on the advise of some of his counsellors with
> respect to the nediness of the populace, that Jews might lend on pawn,
> he nevertheless permitted neither to those same Jews nor to other
> public moneylenders to lend on borrowers' notes [...]. And he defended
> strictly to his officials to acknowledge such notes."
>
> Yet I am confident that other members will be able to offer better help!
>
> Kind regards, O.
>
> Dr. Otfried Lieberknecht
> D-40477 Duesseldorf
> Tel. +49 (0)172 407 6073