The Branch and mobile Libraries group are pleased to announce the addition of Christine Ferguson from Aberdeen libraries to the following course in Edinburgh She will give a presentation on her work developing a national framework for Scottish libraries to enhance services to speakers of other languages.

Giving a First Class Service

to users with English as Second language

One-day workshop

McDonald Road Library Edinburgh

Thursday November 13th 2008

Speakers

John Pateman

Head of Libraries, Learning and Inclusion, Lincolnshire

Ayub Khan

Head of Libraries (Strategy)
Warwickshire Library & Information Service

Irina Laycock

Mentor and counsellor for Russian speakers

Barnsley Libraries

Ian Stringer

Hon Information Co-ordinator

IFLA Public Libraries Section

Jowita Kaminska

 Edinburgh Polish Community speaker

Christine Ferguson

Section Leader, Reader Services, Dundee City Council

Who should attend: Front line staff and their managers

With more and more ESOL people using our libraries it is important to have help in giving a first class service to them. This course gives the viewpoint of some ESOL customers followed by help and advice from two leading authorities. There is a description of a new report on the feasibility of developing a national framework for Scottish libraries to enhance services to speakers of other languages. We end with a forum and workshop to exchange good practise and create your own action plan.

Front line staff and their managers

Cost £50 including lunch but excluding VAT

For further details and booking form, contact Ian Stringer

[log in to unmask]  (ian_bmlg)