In Devon, we currently record enquiries in all our libraries by using a
5 bar gate on a piece of paper kept at the library issue counter or
enquiry desk.

We are now finding, however, that the introduction of self issue
terminals is giving us a practical problem about how we continue to
record enquiries, as staff come out from behind traditional library
counters and enquiry desks. More than ever before they are likely to be
dealing with enquiries anywhere in the library, but, of course this
means they are away from the clickers or pieces of paper previously used
to record the number of enquiries handled.

Staff walking around all the time with clip boards or clickers seems
completely wrong, so currently our libraries with self-issue terminals
have stopped counting enquiries. Ironically, counting enquiries would
seems to be more important as one way of measuring the impact of self
issue as staff are freed from more routine work.

I should be grateful for any suggestions or practical solutions, if,
indeed, this an issue for other authorities. I am happy to summarize

Thanks

Mark Peasley
Information and Learning Services Manager
Devon Library and Information Services
Exeter Central Library
Castle Street
Exeter EX4 3PQ
Tel: 01392 384281
Fax: 01392 384228
Email: [log in to unmask]

THINK CARBON FOOTPRINT! - Do you really need to print this email? Save
Paper - Save Money - Reduce Waste