Reading the ‘plans history’ page of the portal link below (thankyou, Chris) and Tinho’s posting of the extract from Cartographiti of 1998, I realized the national call for pit & mine plans followed the 1973 Lofthouse colliery disaster – probably in 1975.  Doesn’t memory play tricks when you’re senescent?  [no replies, please]

FH

-----Original Message-----
From: A forum for issues related to map & spatial data librarianship [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of
Fleet, Christopher
Sent: 13 October 2008 14:23
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Ca
mpaign to pin coal mines on OS maps

Just in case its helpful, the Mining Access Portal at http://www.bgs.ac.uk/nocomico/  allows anyone who is interested in an abandoned mine plan to locate the repository in which it is stored. In the longer term, the aim is to add scanned images of the maps. The portal includes the Coal Authority plans mentioned below, as well as plans from the Health and Safety Executive, The National Archives, the British Geological Survey, the Mineral Valuer, and Camborne School of Mines.

Chris