Didn't we have a visit to a Mining Records Office near Burton on Trent
as part of BCS a few years ago? I've just found the web page at
http://www.coal.gov.uk/services/miningrecords/index.cfm.

The web page says that they hold coal abandonment plans going back to
1872. I remember it being a fascinating visit. So they hold a lot of the
information even if it isn't all available on one series of maps.

Best wishes,
Clare

--
Librarian / Web Manager