He must have been in the room! Ant, can you help  me with a reply to
this? Thanks, Jo

________________________________

From: For interlibrary-loan and document supply services.
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Graham Titley
Sent: 17 October 2008 13:30
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: EThOS

So now the UK will have had no thesis service for 3 months!

Jo, you have our support - a change was needed and a digital solution is
the obvious one.  What we are complaining about is a) the complete and
total withdrawal of the old service, and b) that this has happened
BEFORE there is a new service to replace it with.

There should have been a 'fall-back' strategy once Ethos missed its
intended launch in September, and even more so when it failed to launch
on the 14th October.  That fall-back should have involved utilising the
microfilm collection (without additional copying?); and then a form of
'hybrid' service (microfilm if not on Ethos) until the alternative was
stable and sufficiently populated to be able to meet 75% of all demand
from 'stock'; and then shut down and switch to Ethos only.

BL have definitely not got this one right!

Also, still, no one has yet addressed the point made about the only
archival copy being the microfilm held at BLDSC.     IF      the
awarding institution no longer has a paper copy    AND    it is in the
microfilm collection (which I assume will not be completely destroyed)
will the microfilm still be available on ILL via BLDSC?

Graham

Graham Titley
Document Delivery and Copyright Librarian
University of Plymouth
Drake Circus
Plymouth
PL4 8AA