From: For interlibrary-loan and document supply services. [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Newman, Joanna
Sent: 16 October 2008 17:07
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: EThOS

Dear Colleagues

I am writing to address the concerns and questions that have been raised throughout today concerning the Monday 20th October 'soft launch' of EThOS. The soft launch is necessary to  start a period of load testing and any inevitable final adjustments that are needed to ensure the system is made ready for the fully operational launch of EThOS on Wednesday 5 November 2008.

If there is any reason why we cannot maintain the system during the soft launch period (from Monday 20 October),  we will reinstate access to the microfilm service. We will be issuing regular communications via various channels (www.ethos.ac.uk<http://www.ethos.ac.uk/>; www.ethos.bl.uk<http://www.ethos.bl.uk/> and list servs like this) throughout the soft launch testing period to keep you informed of your choices and access to material for your customers.
As you may be aware the microfilm service cannot be sustained and the offer of the microfilm service if the soft launch needs technical attention is to enable the best possible transition from existing service to EThOS, which we believe will be a far better and more efficient service.
We apologise for any confusion and will ensure we continue to keep you updated with progress.  I would also like to take this opportunity to draw your attention to the EThOS fact sheet below to remind you of the goals of the service and to clarify exactly what EThOS can deliver.  I believe that this fact sheet addresses some of the concerns and questions raised throughout today.
 Sincerely
Dr Joanna Newman
Head of Strategic Partnerships, Higher Education
The British Library

EThOS - The Facts

Making UK Theses much easier to obtain

 *   EThOS was developed with generous funding from JISC, CURL (now RLUK) and the partners including The British Library and several UK Higher Education institutions led by Glasgow and Imperial

 *   EThOS makes UK theses (e and paper based) available via a 'one-stop-shop' by harvesting e-theses from Institutional Repositories and digitising paper theses on-demand from researchers

 *   Any e-thesis held by the system is available for immediate download anywhere in the work direct to the researchers desktop

 *   The central system, which allows consistent and coherent access to all theses, is managed by The British Library and includes the access system and a digitisation studio

 *   When a researcher wants access to a paper thesis, the system contacts the institution, digitises the thesis and loads it to the EThOS system. The system then emails the researcher who can immediately download it. Supply times will be greatly improved over the current microfilm service

 *   The vast majority of theses will be digitised at no cost to the researcher on an open access basis - in the majority of cases digitisation will be paid for by the HE institution

 *   Once a thesis is digitised it is available for immediate free download in perpetuity

 *   The British Library copies a microfilm every time it is loaned so that we keep the original for future supply. This means researchers don't have to wait until the previous user is finished, keeps the original secure and is  cheaper and more efficient than re-filming

 *   Institutions wishing to offer Open Access to their paper theses can pay for the digitisation on behalf of the researcher i.e. access to the thesis is FREE at the point of use! We expect the majority of institutions taking part to support this level of service but it is at their discretion - there are other models should an individual institution be unable to offer Open Access

 *   EThOS offers 'added value services' where the researcher can order printing of the thesis or supply on CD/DVD. The researcher will be charged for these services - see the toolkit for the actual figures. But remember, the thesis can be downloaded for free

 *   For its part, The British Library is offering all services on a not for profit basis

The implementation of the EThOS system will enable anyone anywhere in the world will be able to search and access UK theses on-line. A user will be able to download them to their desktop from a single point of contact. The number of theses available for immediate free download will rapidly increase as more and more are digitised and, by its very existence, EThOS will encourage further the already rapid move towards electronic submission.

Further information about EThOS can be found at the project website www.ethos.ac.uk<http://www.ethos.ac.uk/> published EThOS toolkit is available here http://ethostoolkit.cranfield.ac.uk/