Dear Dr Newman

I am sure that none of us would expect or want the microfilm service to continue in its present form once the EThOS service has reached critical mass. However, the statement:
  • When a researcher wants access to a paper thesis, the system contacts the institution, digitises the thesis and loads it to the EThOS system. The system then emails the researcher who can immediately download it. Supply times will be greatly improved over the current microfilm service
  • only makes sense when a microfilm copy of the thesis does not already exist. Where there is already a microfilm, it seems perverse to make the end user wait for the awarding institution to send the thesis for digitisation and for the thesis to be scanned. The unsustainable cost of the present microfilm service must in part be the result of re-copying a thesis every time it is loaned. If requests for theses already held on microfilm were routed via the BLDSC, supplied from stock and then the request forwarded to EThOS for the thesis to be digitised from the original, there would be no need to re-copy the microfilm since it would be redundant once the thesis was available via EThOS. This should be no more 'unsustainable' than a standard BLDSC loan. Requests for theses not already microfilmed should go direct to EThOS.

    This would make the transition period far easier. Although the service will be popular once it is up and running efficiently, no-one with any experience of working with research scientists will have any doubts that asking them to wait weeks for a thesis to be digitised (and then possibly having to pay for it!) will be acceptable. They will simply be turned off the system before it has had chance to prove itself.

    Would BL be prepared to consider this solution for a 6 month trial?

    Best wishes,
    Liz
    Liz Allsopp
    Librarian
    Rothamsted Research
    Harpenden,
    Herts AL5 2JQ UK

    Tel: +44 (0)1582 763133 x2657
    Fax: +44 (0)1582 760981
    E-mail: [log in to unmask]
    WWW: http://www.rothamsted.bbsrc.ac.uk/

    Rothamsted Research is a company limited by guarantee,
    registered in England under the registration number 2393175
    and a not for profit charity number 802038.