From: For interlibrary-loan and document supply services. [mailto:[log in to unmask]]On Behalf Of Graham Titley
Sent: 16 October 2008 11:12
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: EThOS status 13:00 15/10 (and the microform service) (fwd)

Plymouth has been receiving these apply Ethos replies since late August - and have been sat on our failed requests awaiting the service ever since!
BLDSC have really made a mess of this - withdrawing a service without having a viable alternative ready, tested and operational!
Plymouth, like many institutions, will definitely not lend paper copies of theses, even given the current situation.  [We will make the occasional exception in special circumstances (usually disability reasons)].
I am not sure where this 'film every time' statement comes from.  Every time I've toured BLDSC I have been shown the miles of cabinet shelves containing microfilms of UK Theses.  It might be a misinterpretation of a reply forwarded to this list where it was stated that they are filmed on demand - but didn't state perhaps - not if already available.  We, like others I guess, have received plenty of "Use" replies to theses requests to BLDSC.  In any case, BL doesn't store the paper copy, it is returned to the institution.  Given the deterioration in quality, microfilm from microfilm is not a route I'd like to go!
In regards to the technology, we have invested in retaining and repairing microfilm readers mainly for this purpose.  Most public libraries maintain their readers for their local history and newspaper archive.  BL has also made it quite clear (as recently as April this year) that it saw Microfilm as the archival standard (not digital).  How does this tally with we are now being told in regard to e-theses?  Microfilm is used by many of the research institutes across the world and they generally have no intention of changing their policy.
Come on BL get moving - researchers have submission target dates and need the service.  Microfilm may not present the UK research community in a good light - but at least the information was available. Ethos may be, and most probably is, the future - but we need a delivery service NOW!
Regards
Graham

Graham Titley
Document Delivery and Copyright Librarian
University of Plymouth
Drake Circus
Plymouth
PL4 8AA