Dear all (with apologies for cross-postings)

Please could I ask you to forward the message below to your Italian
postgraduate students on behalf of the SIS?

Thank you for your help.

Best wishes,
Rachel Haworth

---------------------------
Dear all (with apologies for cross-postings)

I would like to introduce myself: I am Rachel Haworth, postgraduate
representative for the Society for Italian Studies. As part of the
Society's ongoing support for academic Italian studies in the UK and
ROI, I would like to share the following notices with you all:

The Society is pleased to annoucne the launch of a dedicated
postgraduate fund, designed to enable postgraduate students to present
a paper at a conference in the UK or ROI which is not directly funded
by the SIS. More details will be available on the SIS website soon
(www.sis.ac.uk). Please note that in order to be eligible, you must be
a member of the SIS. The rate for postgraduate members is £12.50 a
year. Again, details can be found on the website. From a personal
point of view, I would recommend becoming a member; members receive
copies of the Italian Studies journal every year and the society
provides financial support and helps to forge links across the Italian
academic community.

With the aim of forging links in mind, the Society is launching a new
initiative this year, aimed at promoting communication between
postgraduates in the UK and ROI. The aim is to collect together the
contact details of all postgraduate students and to produce a
database, which will be accessible via the SIS website. It is my hope
that we can create a feeling of community amongst the Italian
postgraduates in the UK and ROI. Those postgraduates who belong to
smaller departments or who study peripheral topics will particularly
benefit from this initiative.

If you would like to include your details in this database, please
send an e-mail to me ([log in to unmask]) with the following
details:
- Name
- E-mail address
- Institution
- Course (i.e. MA or PhD, year 1, 2, 3 etc)
- Research interests (including thesis title if you have one!)

The Society also holds an annual postgraduate colloquium. In 2008,
this was organised by the University of Reading and was held in June.
In 2009, the colloquium will be organised by the University of Oxford.
For more information, please consult the Postgraduate pages of the SIS
website.

Should you have any questions or queries for the society or if you
have any announcements of forthcoming events for postgraduates which
you would like to post on the SIS website, please do not hesitate to
get in touch.

I look forward to meeting some (if not all!) of you soon!

With very best wishes for the start of the new academic year,

Rachel

Rachel Haworth
PhD French/Italian
SIS Postgraduate Representative
SMLC PGRT seminars assistant
Department of Italian
University of Leeds
LS2 9JT

To join the list, send the message: join italian-studies YOUR NAME
to: [log in to unmask]
To leave the list, send the message: leave italian-studies
to: [log in to unmask]
http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/italian-studies.html