Thank you for the responses to the question yesterday about the carved granitic (I'll use that very loosely!) artefact. Sorry the resolution of the images wasn't good enough for a proper look at the petrology. It is at the county museum store about 30 miles away so I can't easily get a better photo myself but have requested a high res. close up on the broken surface. .To clarify, the hope is that someone may recognise the source location of the rock (clearly not 'local' to the site in south Oxfordshire where it was found). It seems it may not necessarily be a UK source; see e-mail below I received later on yesterday from an expert in church artefact archaeology:

The quatrefoil shape and the fleur-de-lys on the front argue against it being 'early; (ie pre-12th century), but it does not feel like a conventional English medieval piece. It feels post-medieval (ie late 16th/17th century) but in Protestant England the use of a crucifix would be unusual at this period. If it is granite (and I can't really tell from the picture) then the South West peninsula is the most likely source - or perhaps (and this would explain the 'Catholic' imagery) it is something some traveller has brought back from Brittany (where I have just spent a week on holiday) which is full of granite carving of this period.

Anyone familiar with the hard rock geology of Brittany?!
When I get better images I'll send these.

Best wishes,

Dale

Dale Johnston
Events & Exhibitions Officer, Banbury Museum
Recreation & Health

Telephone: 01295 672628 (direct line)
Mail to: [log in to unmask]

www.cherwell-dc.gov.uk.

This e-mail (including any attachments) may be confidential and may contain legally privileged information. You should not disclose its contents to any other person. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately.

Whilst the Council has taken every reasonable precaution to minimise the risk of computer software viruses, it cannot accept liability for any damage which you may sustain as a result of such viruses. You should carry out your own virus checks before opening the e-mail(and/or any attachments).

Unless expressly stated otherwise, the contents of this e-mail represent only the views of the sender and does not impose any legal obligation upon the Council or commit the Council to any course of action.