Hi Mark and Andreas!

Thank you so much for your very interesting comments.This is all really helpfull!

Andreas:
Actually the reason why I thought about dilating my ROIs is the fact that they are so cortical that I have a hard time getting fibers tracked at all. Thus I wanted to dilate them until they comprise a given number of voxels with a FA value > 0.2 where I have hope that the tracking can begin.
My ROIs are functionally defined (parietal/occipital/temporal, cognitive tasks) and unfortunately not so easy to locate as are M1 or internal capsula. .
Maybe you are very right in saying that functionally defined ROIs have a lot of problems and disadvantage against anatomically defined ones, I am only too avare of this, in my daily data struggle.
Yes my data are smoothed (I got them from a former collegue). And you are right this also influences the localisation of the functional ROI.
However the main problem for me is a acurate registration from the epi and the struct to the DTI space. I have been trying FLIRTing in every direction, but even if it seems quite OK at a first glance... when superposing the anatomical cerebellar exclusion-mask  (in order to prevent occipito-cerebellar shortcuts) and the functional ROIs, eihter one is either to hight or to low and I either get nothing or I get meaningless trackts from the infratemporal lobe to the vermis and the pons to the internal capsule until M1/S1...
I would love to try FNRIT, but I am hesitating with FSL 4.1.0 as I already did a lot in FSL 4.0.4 and the data initially are in ANALYZE.

Mark:
Thank you! I tryed as you said from a single voxel and it works fine!
The -kernel sphere 3 however dilates only in the plain, right, so that the smallest dilatation step is sphere 4 right?

Thank you both so much!
All the best!
Markus