I would like to see more access and choice regarding CPD in Northern Ireland.  I do not think that it is enough to offer in house CPD in colleges. I think that we should have more choice. The LSDA usually has a limited number of places and it often takes away from contact time which has to be made up.  CPD is an honour instead of a right.

Jolene

Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2008 13:38:57 +0000
From: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Developing professional identity and practice
To: [log in to unmask]

And wouldn't people have felt more enthusiastic about CPD if we had been offered an entitlement, rather than a requirement?

It isn't easy to find CPD training in the right areas and at the right levels. For example, I don't currently need CPD in initial ESOL literacy, but I would really like to do some work on developing writing skills at E3 and above for my learners who need higher-level writing skills to meet work or training requirements. Nor do I need to sit through another Introduction to Dyslexia session or another How to Write Smart Targets session. I would be interested in learning more about dyslexia, especially in an ESOL context, and I am always eager to improve the assessment process and to be better at applying the results.

Not everyone can travel to London for lectures, however good they may be.

Cheryl Thornett
ESOL tutor
Birmingham Adult Education