The University of Hertfordshire’s Blended Learning Unit and the Higher Education Academy, in association with the University of Calgary and University of Queensland, are delighted to announce

The Fourth International Blended Learning Conference:

“Engaging Students in the Curriculum”

17-18 June 2009, de Havilland Campus, University of Hertfordshire, Hatfield, UK

The aims of the conference are to explore the varied ways in which we engage students in the curriculum.

This year the main keynote will be given by Prof. Randy Garrison, Director of the Teaching and Learning Centre and a full professor in the Faculty of Education at the University of Calgary. He is also the co-author of “Blended Learning in Higher Education – Framework, Principles and Guidelines”.

On Day One we will be linking up with colleagues in Canada to hear presentations on their approach to blended learning curriculum design and to share ideas.

Day Two will begin with a live link-up and a keynote presentation from the University of Queensland.

Call for Papers, Case Studies and Posters

The conference committee invite the submission of contributions for the Fourth International Blended Learning Conference. Contributions are sought on a range of topics around engaging students in the curriculum. These might include, but are not restricted to: curriculum design, computer supported collaborative learning, computer aided assessment, learning materials and learning objects, change management strategies and institutional policies. We would particularly welcome submissions from students telling us about their expectations and experiences.

Submissions fall into four categories:

1) Presentation - a 20-25 minute presentation at the conference. Selection will be made from initial submission of an abstract. We encourage you to submit a research paper of unpublished, original work or a case study (2000 - 4000 words) before the conference. This will undergo peer review to be included in the proceedings.

2) Discussion session – your work (research paper or case study plus additional media if desired) will be made available to delegates prior to the conference. The session will be a 5 minute introduction then a discussion on your work. Selection will be made from initial submission of an abstract. You will be required to submit a complete research paper of unpublished, original work or a case study (2000 – 4000 words). This will undergo peer review to be included in the proceedings.

3) Workshops - 1 hour workshop sessions. Selection will be made from submission of an abstract summarising the objectives of the workshop and the proposed activities.

4) Poster/ Virtual Poster – Selection will be made from initial submission of an abstract. A research paper of unpublished, original work or a case study (2000 – 4000 words) may then be submitted for peer review to be included in the proceedings.

Abstract submission deadline Monday 19 January 2009

Visit www.herts.ac.uk/blu for more details

Liz Mellor

LTI/BLU Administrator

University of Hertfordshire

College Lane Campus

Hatfield

AL10 9AB

Tel: 01707 281316

www.herts.ac.uk/blu

This email is confidential and may be privileged. If you are not the intended recipient please accept our apologies. Please do not disclose, copy, or distribute information in this email nor take any action in reliance on its contents: to do so is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. Please inform us that this message has gone astray before deleting it

Please note that views expressed in this email are those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the Higher Education Academy

Please note that this e-mail has been created in the knowledge that Internet e-mail is not a secure communications medium. We advise that you understand and observe this lack of security when e-mailing us

Although we have taken steps to ensure this e-mail and attachments are free from any virus, we advise that in keeping with good computing practice the recipient should ensure they are actually virus free

The Higher Education Academy Registered No 4930131