We have been contacted by a past student who is requesting a list of
students form our Archives for 1950-1952, he arranges for a group of students
from these years to get together each year and has done so for the past 20
years. Under the Data Protection Act records relating to living individuals are
not accessible to persons other than the data subject and we are not  in a
position to ascertain whether they are still alive and hence protected by the
Act.

I am aware some institutions withhold records less than 75/80 years old (from
date of graduation) unless the requester can give proof of the death of the
individual concerned. Others appear to allow access subject to conditions and
exceptions often involving the signing of a declaration confirming
the ‘researcher’ will abide by the terms of the Data Protection Act.

I would be very grateful for any advice on this.
Many thanks
Wendy

Wendy Evans
Head of Library
University College Plymouth St Mark & St John
Derriford Road
Plymouth
PL6 8BH