Thanks Renzo, Phillip, et al.

I had that feeling, though I was concerned that times might have changed
since I ran a telesales company in the nineties because so many new
things have arrived on the statute book.

We used to monitor all our agents on a "need to monitor" basis, and I
have the very devil of a job getting the "Beep" removed from the system
by our supplier who argued illegality at that time.  Once they removed
it we were able to monitor job performance with ease, and design
training plans very much as Catherine plans

Marchini, Renzo wrote:
> Agreed.
>

> Sorry those of you that say otherwise, but it is not unlawful *in the
> UK* to monitor (ie listen in to) calls for the purposes listed in the
> regulations which includes "(cc) /ascertain or demonstrate the
> standards which are achieved or ought to be achieved by persons using
> the system in the course of their duties/"; ie quality control of
> employees.
>
> You do not need to tell employees about specific instances of
> monitoring, but you do need to tell employees (and other users of your
> telephone system) generally.  You do not need to tell external callers
> unless you record (at which point DPA comes into place).
>
> The issue of whether this is good for industrial relations is another
> point.   And the use to which you put the information is of course a
> question of employment law.  But the listening itself is not unlawful.
>
> If you record, then DPA comes into play for employees also and there
> is detailed guidance by the ICO on that topic at
> *__http://tinyurl.com/qochx__**.  See section 3 and in the
> Supplemental Code. *
>
> There are safeguards for the privacy of information. You must not use
> the systems *for the purpose of* intercepting private communications.
>   If you inadvertently intercept personal communications in
> undertaking permitted interceptions then you should stop listening.
> This is not a problem where it is unavoidable in the context of
> permitted monitoring.  In other words, if in the course of an
> "interception" (or the playing back of a recording) it becomes
> apparent that the monitored communication is in fact private, the
> interception (or playing back) should cease.
>
> In short,
>
> ·         There is no need to tell external callers that calls will be
> monitored, but you should if it is being recorded.  DPA then comes
> into play.
>
> ·         You should inform employees that monitoring will happen
> generally.
>
> ·         Privacy of private communications should be respected under
> RIPA.
>
> *Renzo Marchini*
> Dechert LLP
> +44 (0) 20 7184 7563 direct
> +44 (0) 20 7184 7001 fax
> www.dechert.com <http://www.dechert.com/>

*Tim Trent* - Consultant
*/Tel/*: +44 (0)7710 126618
*/web/*: ComplianceAndPrivacy.com <http://complianceandprivacy.com> -
where busy executives go to find the news first
*/personal blog/*: timtrent.blogspot.com/ <http://timtrent.blogspot.com/>

Marketing by Permission
<http://feeds.feedburner.com/%7Er/MarketingByPermission/%7E6/1>

*Important*: This message is private and confidential. If you have
received this message in error, please notify us and remove it from your
system. This email and any attachment(s) are believed to be virus-free,
but it is the responsibility of the recipient to make all the necessary
virus checks. This email and any attachments to it are copyright of
Meadowood Associates, owners of Compliance And Privacy, unless otherwise
stated. Their copying, transmission, reproduction in whole or in part
may only be undertaken with the express permission, in writing, of
Meadowood Associates, at Meadowood House, 30 Redditch, Bracknell,
Berkshire, RG12 0TT.