Try Making and Breaking Children's Lives - Newnes and Radcliffe PCCS Books

--- On Fri, 10/10/08, Dexter Gemma (Derby Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust) <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
From: Dexter Gemma (Derby Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust) <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: [COMMUNITYPSYCHUK] Resources?
To: [log in to unmask]
Date: Friday, 10 October, 2008, 1:30 PM

Hi Charles,

well done for continuing to stick your neck out! it is a scary process saying things that you know you will be attacked (or rather, ignored) for.

contrary to your colleagues beliefs, you are not alone (or mad or daft) in your feelings about ADHD,

books i have found really useful on the subject are
'critical voices in child & adolescent mental health' by Sami Timimi
and 'the other side of adhd' by angela southall

steve baldwin wrote some brillaint critique on psychiatric "treatments" and children, but i don't have any references to hadn right now.

also, don't knwo if you've read 'making us crazy, dsm and the creation of mental disorders' by kirk & kutchins.... can't remember off the top of my head if it directly addresses adhd but it's very good at explaining how things get in and out of the DSM in general and how political un'scientific' the whole thing is

I'm not sure how we would go about it, but it would be good to develop some communication between those of us who work in child servcies.

Gemma
Dr Gemma Dexter
Clinical Psychologist
Derbyshire Children's Hospital