-----Original Message-----
From: The UK Community Psychology Discussion List
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Vicky Honeyman
Sent: 07 October 2008 20:26
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [COMMUNITYPSYCHUK] advice

Hi everyone,

My name is Vicky and I'm currently finishing an MSc in Community
Psychology at Manchester Metropolitan University. I've got an
undergraduate psychology degree and have volunteered with Penumbra's
Edinburgh Self Harm Project for two summers and with a small
organisation called VentureArts for people with learning difficulties
for the past year. I'm currently working as a support worker with people
with mental health issues, learning difficulties and dual diagnosis. My
research interests have been within qualitative research and I have an
interest in critical psychology. I've been applying for assistant
psychologist jobs for the past few months and have had a few interviews
but haven't yet been successful in obtaining a post. I'm interested in
pursuing a career in clinical psychology and was wondering if anyone
could give me some advice about either assistant posts and what is
expected within the interviews, what further experience would be
beneficial for me to aim for and whether it is worthwhile apply for the
clinical psychology doctorates even although I've not worked as an
assistant psychologist yet. I know that the criteria for the doctorates
usually says they will consider applicants without having been an
assistant but I was really wondering given the competition for these
posts and courses is this realistic? Thanks in advance for anyone who