Hi Ian,

I did not follow up our recent discussion about the respective merits of various "truncate" procedures, in particular the comparison of the French & Wilson (1978) and Sivia & David (1994) methods. Following your mail to the BB yesterday, which extends the previous simulations, I feel that I should relaunch the debate.

My main objection is that I can still not understand why you are so focused on the shell averages (i.e. intensity averages over many reflections in resolution shells). This is apparently the criterion that you use to claim that the FW method is superior to all others.

The truncate method (whichever prior is used) is a procedure to estimate amplitudes for individual reflections. This is the goal of the whole procedure. So we have an estimator E(Im,Sm) for the true intensity J (or amplitude sqrt(J)) of one reflection, given its "measured" intensity Im and sigma Sm. According to the usual statistical definition of bias, this estimator is unbiased if its expectation value (NOT its average aver many different reflections) is equal to the true value J (or sqrt(J)), for all values of J. We seem to agree that neither the estimator proposed by F&W, nor the one proposed by S&D are unbiased, and I gave a simple example in an earlier mail : for J=0, both estimators will return an estimate greater than 0, whatever the measured data are. They are thus biased.

Now, you seem to be be highly preoccupied by the reflection averages in resolution shells. Why ? The quantities that are used in all subsequent computations are individual reflection intensities/amplitudes. The shell averages are not used in any important crystallographic computation (apart maybe the Wilson plot). So what matters really is to get good estimates for individual reflection intensities/amplitudes.

Of course, both the F&W and the S&D methods also return an estimate for the shell averages, and your simulations seem to show that the F&W estimates for these shell averages are unbiased. But again,  shell averages are not used in any crystallographic refinement: we refine against individual reflections ! They are not used in phasing: we phase individual reflections. So what matters is the bias on individual reflections, not on shell averages. I think that you can not simply claim that, because the F&W method returns unbiased shell averages, it is necessarily superior to the S&D method.

In that sense, your previous statement that

the average bias of <J> is the same as the bias of the average <J>

may be formally correct, but is completely irrelevant. Because even if the average bias is zero, this does not mean that the estimator is unbiased. Otherwise, I would suggest a truncate procedure where the intensities of all reflections are simply set equal to their shell averages. Clearly, this would yield unbiased estimates for the shell averages, but the estimates for individual reflection intensities would be highly biased.

Also, your simulations are flawed by the fact that you assume you exactly know S. However, this is not the case in reality. In the F&W procedure, S is estimated in shells of resolution from the measured intensities. This turns S into a random variable and you will never have S=0 exactly. If you now imagine the case of data collected and integrated when there is no diffraction at all, you would get some random number for S in each shell. Half of the time it would be negative and so you could not even apply the F&W procedure. I have tested this: TRUNCATE (with the option truncate yes) fails on such data.

More importantly, to decide whether your crystal is diffracting up to a certain resolution (or whether there is any diffraction at all), no one would look at the average I or average F. This is not a meaningful quantity because the I's or F's are not on an absolute scale and because they will have to be gauged against a measure of their uncertainty. Therefore, what really matters is the average I/sigI. This is the sensible criterion to decide whether you have a signal (or crystal) or not. The average I is of little use for this purpose. Now, if there is no crystal at all, the S&D procedure returns average I/sigI (corrected I's) of 1 and I believe that most crystallographers would then conclude that the data are at the noise level (i.e. there is no measurable diffraction). No one would look at the average I. So, contrary to what you write, the S&D results are perfectly acceptable, even in the case when there is no diffraction (or crystal) at all.

Regarding your simulations, I am much more concerned about the columns which you label by "rmsE". You state that this is the RMS error for each average. I presume (but I am not sure; please provide a formula) that this is the sample second moment about the sample mean (i.e. the sample variance); the sample being all reflections in a given bin ? If so, then the F&W procedure is highly problematic for weak data. It seems that the F&W procedure completely distorts the second moment about the mean of the intensity distributions. For weak data it is close to 0, whereas the true second moment about the mean of the distribution is 1.0. Now, I would find this much more problematic than a slightly distorted shell average.

So I am not yet convinced that your simulations demonstrate in any way the superiority of the FW method over other methods.

Cheers,

Marc

    <[log in to unmask]><mailto:[log in to unmask]>
               <[log in to unmask]><mailto:[log in to unmask]> <[log in to unmask]><mailto:[log in to unmask]>