We had a similar experience a few years ago.  In our case, the adventitious ligand was L-lactate, which happens to be a competitive inhibitor of our enzyme.  We used using L-lactate dehydrogenase assays to show that several commercially available PEGs contain L-lactate.   We also think that acetate ions are present in PEGs, based on crystallographic data.  See these papers for the full story:

M. Zhang and J.J. Tanner
Detection of L-lactate in polyethylene glycol solutions confirms the identity of the active-site ligand in a proline dehydrogenase structure.
Acta Crystallogr.  (2004) D60, 985-986
PMID: 15103160

M. Zhang, T.A. White, J.P. Schuermann, B.A. Baban, D.F. Becker, and J. J. Tanner
Structures of the Escherichia coli PutA proline dehydrogenase domain in complex with competitive inhibitors.
Biochemistry (2004) 43(39) 12539-48.
PMID: 15449943

--
John J. Tanner