Drop Caps by K.S. Ernst

2008, 5" x 8", 62 pgs, color, $15.  Add $4 for postage.
ISBN 1-438279-68-X | EAN-13 978-1-43827968-8

http://xexoxial.org/is/drop_caps/by/ks_ernst

Paypal to [log in to unmask]

K.S. Ernst's Drop Caps is an alphabet book, a Pandora's box of verbo-
visual treasures, a crate of sculptures, a litany of of the textual
imagination, and a pure delight for the eye. Combining the eye of a
painter, the ear of a poet, and the hand of a typographer, Ernst
examines the power of text through color, cancellation, eradication,
shape, torquing, humor, pathos, and a dry sense of humor and
seriousness that surprise on every page. Beginning as an alphabet book
that swerves from frame to frame with visual legerdemain and grace,
the book ends with a flickering set of even greater experimentations,
each of which on every page are haunted by individual capital letters
of the alphabet, often askew, the dropped capitals that give the book
its name.

	—Geof Huth

It's always a pleasure to write about K.S. Ernst, allowing me an
opportunity to try to spread the good news of new publications and to
further contextualize her in the frames of her own opus and of the
arts of our time. Writing about publications in editions is
particularly important in her case, since most of her oeuvre is one-of-
a-kind works of art. Still, I've had the opportunity to write about
her in her Web Survey  (http://www.thing.net/~grist/ld/ernst/
ernst.htm) and in an extended essay on her and her closest
collaborators, Marilyn R. Rosenberg and David Cole in Correspondence
Art Solos and Choruses (http://www.bigbridge.org/young/so-ch.htm).
Drop Caps, gives the reader a better sense of her abilities to work in
multiple dimensions than those editions which have come before.
Dimensions in this case include reproductions of bas relief sculpture
that come as close as an affordable book can manage to demonstrating
her work with three dimensional pages. The text itself may be the
fullest published to date. Here, phantom narratives nest conundrums in
their coyly side-stepping and evasive sentences, in turn nested inside
questions with multiple answers—and answers to multiple questions.
These stories in turn find themselves graphically placed inside
layered explorations of the shapes and potential functions of letters
in a delightful play of dancing wit and in-depth exploration of signs
we take for granted. How much can the intrusion of the upper serif and
middle bar of the letter G fill in the spectral tones and messages of
ungrateful ghosts whispering above obscured candles? It may be
surprising how much particularly for those too familiar with now
predictable genres ranging from popular fiction to the latest in
deconstructionist theory to the rigidity of the Concrete Poetry of
half a century ago. In previous comments, I've called Ernst the Mozart
of current visual poetry. If my comments here suggest a forbiddingly
difficult work, that's just a reflection of my problems in summing up
the book in a brief space. As in the early through middle Mozart,
Ernst has an uncanny ability to make the most complex ideas clear,
free of pretension or obfuscation, and not only easy but fun to follow.

	—Karl Young

For inventive elegance, few visual poets in any language now can equal
K. S. Ernst.

	—Richard Kostelanetz

The visio-textual art of K.S. Ernst lifts poetry to its rightful three-
dimensional habitat where it comes alive: viewable, palpable,
performative. This essential, generative synthesis of mind and heart
creates experience, immediately memorable. Raw truth spawns multiple
probable realities. Works by K.S. Ernst should be seen widely, studied
intently, and savored by discerning viewers for whom art equals
infinity. The text of Drop Caps, generous, insightful, and framed by
its source letters, encompasses mind in matter. Anchored by coherence
of the alphabet, this book characterizes what is best in contemporary
visio-textual art. Drop Caps is a must-have for every library seeking
to encompass what is most dynamic in 21st Century art.

	—Sheila E. Murphy

Just when I thought everything anybody could do with the alphabet had
now been done, K.S. Ernst finds ten million new ways to use it (while
doing a lot of other good stuff, too—some of it Very Funny)!

	—Bob Grumman

Much more than just an ABC, this alphabet-structured book explores the
possible complete randomness (therefore a kind of order) of our ways
of arranging language, and thus of consciousness itself.  Each letter
is approached from numerous perspectives and is shown to be at the
center of a swarm of text, structure, form, color, dimensionality,
emotion, idea, and many other manifestations of what is.  An
impressive and beautiful work.

	—John M. Bennett, Luna Bisonte Prods

Also check out the new 25th anniversary edition of SEQUENCING by K.S.
Ernst.  21 previously unpublished pieces added. A certified Xexoxial
classic!

http://xexoxial.org/is/sequencing/by/ks_ernst

XEXOXIAL EDITIONS
10375 Cty Hway Alphabet