Hello, I'm a journalist working for the technology pages on the BBC News
website. The good folks at the Society of Archivists said posting my
question to this list would be the best way to get a response.
I'm writing a feature about newspapers and their archives. As I understand
it, paper copies of newspapers are independently archived but it is becoming
apparent that digital editions are not. Newspapers archive the digital
content they produce and actively prevent search engines crawling their
websites to build up independent records.
There are already a few cases where mistakes that appeared in the printed
editions are not in the digital copies - the most well-knwon being Ronnie
Hazlehurst's supposed connection to SClub7.
Does this trend worry anyone? Not just the newspaper side but more generally
on the creation and preservation of digital records. Is a lot of history at
risk of being lost or airbrushed?
All replies gratefully received.
Many thanks

Mark Ward
Technology Correspondent
BBC News Website
T: 020 8576 8334
M: 07976 429022
E: [log in to unmask]
W: http://www.bbc.co.uk/technews
P: Room 4220, BBC TV Centre, Wood Lane, London W12 7RJ