From: Clinical biochemistry discussion list [mailto:[log in to unmask]]On Behalf Of Elizabeth MacNamara
Sent: 06 October 2008 21:13
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: An interesting comparison...

I am sorry Francis I can not agree with you and I can see you have never been in my laboratory or have any understanding of the way I or my staff work. I probably to twice the amount of QC and validation you do in your laboratory, I ensure everything is checked by more than one methodHowever, if an analyser produces 14,000 results a day it is not the same as a radiologist reading CT, MRI or XRays. It is is also not the same as us reading an immunofixation or a complex AA, GC_MS, LC-MS etc, result. Our work is very important but we do not have to pretend that automated chemistry results are the same as tests requiring interpretation be they from our laboratory or radiology, they are not.

Elizabeth

Frances Rosenberg wrote:
[log in to unmask] type="cite">
Wake up and smell the roses!
Do you installed a chemistry analyzer and rely solely on the manufacturer supplied information to provide reference information (a process for which the manufacturer undoubtedly issues a disclaimer)? If that is your usual practice, then I agree there is a difference between your laboratory report for core biochemistry and a radiology report.
However, if a member of your professional staff (versus your reliance on the manufacturer) takes responsibility for the information conveyed by the test report (which may extend beyond RIs and include standard interpretive comments) then the distinction between radiology and biochemistry becomes blurred. This is the situation where I practice. We scrutinize manufacturer supplied information and pursue various avenues to validate/replace/supplement that information.
It may be that your response reflects how you practive laboratory medicine or you may not have reflected sufficiently on the issue.

Frances Rosenberg MD PhD FRCP(C)
Medical Biochemist
Pathology and Laboratory Medicine
St. Paul's Hospital Vancouver BC V6Z 1Y6
Phone (604) 806-8190 Fax (604) 806-8158