Chris
I will reply as a laboratorian. I am not a MD or Pathologist.

From my experience the biggest issue is lack of commutable cutoff's. This poses difficulty when the patient is transferred from the chest pain center to an in patient and the troponin is switched from POC to lab based method. On approach is to add to the lab report the method and ranges yet this is not a 100% mitigation. Other issues to face are that POC usually lack the low end 10% CV goals precision of lab based platforms such as Beckman Accu Troponin I, Abbott TnI ADV, and Vitros Troponin I ES

Joe

-----Original Message-----
From: Clinical biochemistry discussion list [mailto:[log in to unmask]]On Behalf Of SERGEANT Chris (RF4) BHR Hospitals
Sent: Monday, October 06, 2008 5:52 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: POC Troponin

Two queries today!
We have recently changed to a more sensitive Troponin I assay within the laboratory but there has been a request to look at offering a point of care Troponin assay within the emergency department. We have been pointing out the potentail pitfalls of having two differenet assays but would like to gather further evidence for and against.
I recognise that this is a similar question to one posed recently but what are the experiences ( positive and negative) of labs and clinicians who have been running two  different troponin assays (be it two troponin I assays or a troponin I / Troponin T combination) ?
Many thanks
Chris
Chris Sergeant
Principal Biochemist
Clinical Biochemistry
BHR NHS Trust
Ext. 8318
Direct: 0208 970 8318
------ACB discussion List Information-------- This is an open discussion list for the academic and clinical community working in clinical biochemistry. Please note, archived messages are public and can be viewed via the internet. Views expressed are those of the individual and they are responsible for all message content. ACB Web Site http://www.acb.org.uk List Archives http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/ACB-CLIN-CHEM-GEN.html List Instructions (How to leave etc.) http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/