Dear List Readers

We recently did a CSF spectroscopy scan on a patient for ?SAH.

The results were:

Serum bilirubin         23umol/L

CSF bilirubin           0.016 AU

CSF protein             0.95 g/L

Serum protein           67 g/L

The uncorrected CSF bilirubin result is elevated. However, when corrected, using the formula published in the Ann Clin Biochem 2008;45:238-244, the NBA is 0.002 which is not elevated.

Could someone please advise me on what is the correct procedure in this case either to correct or not to correct the result since it makes a big difference to how the results are interpreted?

Thanks

John Beilby

Senior Scientist

PathWest Laboratory Medicine WA

Nedlands, Western Australia

------ACB discussion List Information-------- This is an open discussion list for the academic and clinical community working in clinical biochemistry. Please note, archived messages are public and can be viewed via the internet. Views expressed are those of the individual and they are responsible for all message content. ACB Web Site http://www.acb.org.uk List Archives http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/ACB-CLIN-CHEM-GEN.html List Instructions (How to leave etc.) http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/