Van: SPM (Statistical Parametric Mapping) [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Namens Stephen J. Fromm
Verzonden: donderdag 4 september 2008 15:17
Aan: [log in to unmask]
Onderwerp: Re: [SPM] Estimation of between subjects factor in repeated
measures design

On Tue, 2 Sep 2008 14:12:16 +0200, Ent D.vant <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

>Dear SPMers,
>

>I am studying fMRI in twins that either both have low or high attention
>problems. Since measurement of monozygotic twins should be regarded as
>correlated I want to enter them as repeated measures and study the
>difference in Attention Problems as a between subjects factor.  So for
>example if I would have 2 twin pairs (pairs 1 and 2) with high
attention
>problems and 3 twin pairs with low attention problems (pair 3 and 4 and
>5), I would for example like to make the following design
>

>Pair1: Twin1  vs. Twin2; covariate attention problems =1
>
>Pair2: Twin1  vs. Twin2; covariate attention problems =1
>
>Pair3: Twin1  vs. Twin2; covariate attention problems =2
>
>Pair4: Twin1  vs. Twin2; covariate attention problems =2
>
>Pair5: Twin1  vs. Twin2; covariate attention problems =2
>

>and want to estimate the effect of the covariate which signifies high
or
>low attention problems. I would be very grateful if anyone could
explain
>to me how such a 2nd level design could be implemented in SPM5.
>

>Or I would like to be informed on any other alternative approach to
>achieve the between twin comparison described above.

Be careful with your use of the covariate.  The variable you're modeling
with
the covariate isn't really a "numerical" variable, but is rather a
categorical
variable.

It might be OK in this case, in that you only have two values to the
variable.
It turns out that in that case, the objection I state above isn't true.

Though I think things are clearer if you instead think of the
attentional
variable as describing groups.  So you'd have two groups in this case.

As for the repeated measures stuff, you can follow the advice people
give on
dealing with that (e.g. see questions posted here).  Or you could just
e.g.
take the average of each twin pair, and then enter that into the 2nd
level
analysis.

Best,