Dear Cinzia,

This sounds like a bug that was present in the SPM5 updates 1111:
http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?A2=ind0802&L=spm&P=10382

To check which SPM version you have, type:
 >> edit spm_getSPM.m
and around line 162, you should read:
% $Id: spm_getSPM.m 1563 2008-05-07 14:16:43Z ferath $

If not, you should install the latest set of updates from:
ftp://ftp.fil.ion.ucl.ac.uk/spm/spm5_updates/

Note that if that was indeed the explanation, then your SPM.mat files
have been corrupted and you'd better re-estimate your models.

I hope this helps,
Guillaume.

--
Guillaume Flandin, PhD