The coregistration needs to be accurate for the anatomical image to be of any
use for spatial normalisation.  If it is distorted then a rigid registration
will not get a good match.  Another reason why the coregistration may not
work is that there may be a strong bias artifact in your anatomical image -
in which case you can do a bias correction (via the segmentation) and then
move all your fMRI data to align with the bias corrected anatomical image
(coregister).

You may be lucky and have EPI data that have a similar intensity distribution
to those of the EPI template.  This may mean that least squares may be a good
alignment model.

In general though, it is hard to guess what works well for other people's
data.  When we do make recommendations, they are usually on the basis of what
we have found to work better here in the FIL.

Best regards,
-John