I don't have any really good ideas here.  If there is a FieldTrip toolbox that
works for SPM5, then you may find that the segmentation in SPM5 gives
slightly better results.  However, if your images have poor GM/WM contrast or
poor GM/CSF contrast, then any segmentation algorithm is likely to struggle.
If the GM is invisible by eye, then it is probably also invisible to the
algorithm.

Best regards,
-John