My best guess is the usual one (which may have been repeated a few times on
the mailing list).  Try reorienting your images before you use them in SPM.
If the origin is more than about 3cm from the AC, or the orientation is out
by more than about 15 degrees, then the initial affine registration is likely
to mess up.

Best regards,
-John