Arshad

On Mon, Sep 8, 2008 at 1:50 PM, Dr A. Zaman <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

Hi Darren,

Many thanks for the quick response.

I am at the model estimating stage using spm2,
even with 15 subjects (-albeit 444vols/subject),

Well, Windows does not win the prize for memory management.

I get the notorious memory error. Would a 64bit/8GB work for sure?

Possibly. I didn't ask how big your images are, but no matter. If you have access to a Linux machine you might try the analysis there. That would give you a better idea on the likelihood of working.

You can check the maxmem setting in spm_defaults. If it is more than 2^20 it is possible that lowering the value would load less data at a time and that might help. Using less than 2^20 is usually not helpful and will increase the run time enormously. (I've never found this makes much of a difference, but you can try it. Memory errors usually occur in relation to manipulating the large covariance matrices.) You can try turning off java in matlab - I think matlab -nojvm when you start matlab from a shortcut. You can check what other processes you have running and close all non-essential programs.

Also, if I
re-run the model estimation is SPM5, is it going
to be any easier (assuming I pre-process my data in SPM5)?

No. Won't make a difference regarding memory issues.

Darren

best wishes,

Arshad