From: Cynthia Cozette Lee <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Wednesday, 10 September, 2008 12:35:11
Subject: Re: False Claim about Sarah Palin's list of banned books

9-10-08
Dear Brian, Alan and Jack:
Thank you for sharing the information.
For some reason I cannot access the suggested websites concerning
investigating the banned book issue with Sarah Palin. I will try again tomorrow
and perhaps then will obtain access.

I do know through research on my master's degree level on the topic of
book banning that book banning is an increasing public policy issue in the
United States since the 1990's and the far right religious groups have begun
lobbying against certain books being available to school age children for the
past two decades. The American Library Association (ALA) publishes a list of
10 to 100 books annually known as the banned books list - which the far right
is trying to ban in American school libraries. The ALA celebrates the freedom
of information (speech) through books during the last week of September
through the first week of October. This is celebrated nationally in the U.S. by
the ALA as BANNED BOOKS WEEK to counter this growing public policy issue
movement against certain books being removed from school libraries. Go to the
following website for more information:
http://www.ala.org/ala/oif/bannedbooksweek/bannedbooksweek.cfm

Sincerely,
Cynthia Cozette Lee