On 23 Sep 2008, at 13:38, Sarah Fletcher wrote:

re. I'm wondering if we can develop a shared understanding of expressions of a loving dynamic energy?

Is this erotic spiritual energy or life affirming energy or a combination of both and what substantive base is there for claiming these exist let alone are evident from video alone?

Jack's response.

I think the substantive base for establishing a shared understanding of expressions of a loving dynamic energy is the original work in Joan Walton's doctoral thesis at:

http://people.bath.ac.uk/edsajw/walton.shtml

In her thesis Joan puts forward the original critical standard of judgment  of 'spiritual resilience gained through connection with a loving dynamic energy'.

"Through telling my personal story, I offer an emergent methodology that includes both narrative inquiry and action research. I generate a living theory which offers ‘spiritual resilience gained through connection with a loving dynamic energy’ as an original standard of judgment."

re. What I'm wondering is whether, through sharing video-clips of what we are doing as we express our values and understanding, this will help us to co-create an educational community that is extending the influence of the
values that carry hope for the future of humanity?

We need to address issues of bullying on this list first - please see my email of yesterday

Jack's response.

After a wonderful start to the new seminar for 2008-9 I think we may now see a haemoraging on the list as the educational space feels violated and boundaries that protect educational discourse with loving and productive intent need strengthening. I'm just hoping that participants will stay in the space and help with the strengthening of loving and productive boundaries.

re. I'm wondering if these shared communications will help us to resist and move beyond the pressures that can constrain the flow of these values and understandings?

Ditto above - we need to address and stop exclusion of discussion by this list's members (I am looking forward to engagement by you, Jack and others, in critiquing your own ideas - as I invited in my email yesterday and which you appear to have overlooked so far today).

Jack's response.

Each unique living theory dissertation and thesis must demonstrate a level of critical judgement appropriate for the award. Because a living theory is an explanation of one's own educational influence in learning, the individual researcher must demonstrate a level of self-criticism and critical use of the ideas of others, appropriate for the degree. In my case, self-criticisms in the generation of my living educational theories have been well-documented in my publications and my doctoral thesis at  http://people.bath.ac.uk/edsajw/jack.shtml . The first criticism, going back to my first use of video-data on my own practice in 1971, was in the recognition of myself as a living contradiction in the belief that I had established enquiry learning with my pupils when I could see myself on the video, closing down the opportunities for enquiry learning because of the way I was organising the learning resources. Between 1982-1991 I felt a lack of comprehension about the power relations that sustained what counted as knowledge in the Academy. I engaged with the ideas of Foucault and Habermas and overcame this lack of understanding, as I think my writings show. Around 2002 I felt that my propositional and dialectical epistemologies were too limited to develop my explanations of educational influence and I was delighted to overcome the limitations through engaging with and understanding Alan's ideas on inclusionality.