K, I don't know what others would think or advise, but I'd suggest your
fictioning sometimes in poems----even, and probably especially, when it
seems so RIGHT to tell it like it was, exactly.
e.g., if your girlfriend was sitting on the roof with fingers splayed or
peaked like antennae, EVEN IF IT'S TRUE, don't try to fit it into any of
your poems.  Why?  Because it may be not work as well as a nother one might.

1)  You need not hold dearly onto images that come to your mind; they're an
endless family delighted to display themselves to you whenever you wish.
 More will come and play----so many you'll have to gently point to the door
and say you need a lunch break....'but do please come again!"

2)  Most wonderful and important:  if you have EVER come up with fine
images, symbols, fresh pairings.....be assured that you will come up with
more, exponentially more.

You'll be in the 'pruning' stage, cutting off those that look as if they
must've been born for a particular line or stanza or completion of a poem's
sense.  Chopping off the image will free you immeasurably.  You know that
pruned bushes and trees grow back more lush, green, and tall.  When you've
lopped off the 'maybe it'll work' image, what's left isn't a hole, a blank
space now demanding clothing.  It's a temptress watching you and knowing
you'll find new ways to see and seduce her---she who must be obeyed---and
whom you will WANT to obey.  That's the only requirement:  desire.

Best,

hon. joodles